
Shillong, Apr 15 : The protest against the proposed tourism project at Lumpongdeng took a sharper turn on Wednesday after the Green-Tech Foundation (GTF) said it was not satisfied with the outcome of discussions held with government representatives.
GTF chairman H. Bansiewdor Nonglang, who is on an indefinite hunger strike, will continue his fast after the organisation claimed that the government indicated it cannot cancel the land lease given to the company for the project.
According to GTF, the dialogue held earlier in the day did not address their primary demand — scrapping of the proposed resort project.
The foundation maintained that any discussion must focus on withdrawing the project entirely.
“If they say they cannot cancel the land lease, we will continue the hunger strike,” a GTF leader said.
The chairman’s fast, which has entered its seventh day, is aimed at pressuring the government to reconsider the project at Lumpongdeng, which the organisation says is environmentally sensitive and holds community importance.
GTF reiterated that while it remains open to dialogue, any engagement must be meaningful and centred on the cancellation of the project.
With the standoff continuing, attention is now on whether the government will revisit its position or initiate further discussions with the group.
